Castor Oil has become one of the most essential items in my household, and my healing practice for self and others.
Personally it has been introduced to me when I was the patient of an Arvigo Therapist for the treatment of endometriosis, chronic pelvic pain, ovarian cysts, and a whole lot more. And now I have had the gift of witnessing through my clients the same profoudn effects that this little Mayan homeremedy has.
But lets start at the beginning. What is Castor Oil?
Castor Oil is an oil extracted from the seed of the castor bean or say Ricinus communis. It is an oil that has been used for over 4,000 years across different ancient cultures. It has been recorded as a major therapeutic medicine for many ailments including inflammatory conditions across ancient India, China, Africa, the Americas and even ancient Rome, Greece and Persia.
When researching Castor Oil on google one finds a lot of recommendations but also warnings as the castor oil used internally can have toxic effects, and be too intense of the body. Yet a castor oil pack applied externally can be used for virtually any illnesses and not many recorded averse reactions.
For which reproductive issues is castor oil most often recommended?
To be honest I don’t know a reproductive condition where a castor oil pack would not be supportive. However here are just some of the conditions for which a castor oil pack application is highly recommended .Please note the frequency and timing of the castor oil pack should be discussed with your Arvigo Therapist. If you suffer any of the below please consider to contact one of their independent therapists nearest you:
- Excessive Bleeding during Menstruation or clotting issues
- internal / external scar tissue
- Ovarian Cysts
- Any Ovulatory problems, from painful ovulation to failure to ovulate
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding
- Chronic Miscarriages
- Cancer of reproductive organs
But what does Castor Oil do for the reproductive system?
Castor oil is very rich in ricinoleic acid, and has demonstrated the following effects in the body through external application:
- increased immune function through an increase of lymphocyte production as well as increased T-Cell Lymphocyte activity
- increasing the circulation to support exchange of nutrients and gas exchange
- stimulates the lymphatic system for better and more effective elimination of waste materials
- it has demonstrated shrinking and eliminating effects on fibroids, ovarian cysts and even tumors
- break down and dissolution of internal and external scar tissue and adhesions
- assists in clearing blocked fallopian tubes
What is a Castor Oil Pack? And how do I do it?
A castor oil pack is an external poultice that is applied to the lower abdomen. Here is what you will need:
- organic castor oil
- cotton or wool flannel / muslin cloth
- hot water bottle or heat pack
- small towel
- if you have it a ceramic oil burner
- warm the castor oil to skin temperature in a non-metallic pot. I personally use a ceramic oil burner with a candle underneath – make sure you don’t overheat the oil!
- soak the flannel / muslin in the warmed oil so that it is soaked but not dripping
- place on your lower abdomen
- if you have it in your home put some plastic food wrap / cling wrap over it
- cover with a small hand towel
- place a heat pack or a hot water bottel on top
- now sit quietly connecting with the healing essence of the oil and the plant and allow the pack to do its thing for the next 30min
- after 30min take the pack off and wipe the excess oil off
- drink plenty of water
An alternative to the deep heat and sacred time if you cannot make the time but require frequent / daily treatment.
- apply the oil over the abdomen
- place a thin muslin over it to not stain your clothing
- get dressed and go about your day no application of heat pack
- best when used in combination with a faja
- drink plenty of water
If you are experiencing rectal pain when menstruating alternate placement of the castor oil pack between lower abdomen and sacrum, between day 6 and 20 of your cycle.
Frequency and timing of castor oil packs:
This is really depending on your reproductive conditions.
- For extreme cases I would recommend you to apply this daily. for 4 days then take 2 days of.
- When trying to conceive or when suffering from extreme heavy bleeds, apply daily between day 5 and day 12 of your cycle (deepending on your bleeds)
- For general reproductvie support and healing apply 2-6 times per cycle cycle
When is a castor oil contraindicated?
During your menstrual bleed, during pregnancy, when suffering of intestinal conditions, and when you suffer from extreme gaseous stomach. When having an intra uterine device.
If a mild rash occurs – which is very rare and a sign of the body eliminating toxins, make sure you cleanse the area with 1 table spoon of bicarb soda mixed in a cup of warm water.
Note: as I mentioned earlier although this is a safe treatment to do in your own home every condition is still different and unique and I highly recommend to see an Arvigo Therapist before self-diagnosing.
Why not support your self-care with castor oil with a Vaginal Steam
If you are on a fertility journey you might find the recent 3 part blog series on conscious conception interesting:
In early May 2016 Marieke van der Leest from www.dreamintobeing.com and myself offer a 2 day co-creation journey where we explore the power of intent when conceiving and utilise exercises, imagery, story telling and art to expand, connect and anchor the intention to conceive.
If you wish to learn more about the 2 day journey please click here.
As this is expansive work, that you can apply years before conception, during conception, and even retrospective when already raising your child, Conscious Conception will be offered as an in-depth 7 day journey, which will be held at the Findhorn Foundation in September 2016 following the Healthy Earth Healthy Birth conference. If you wish to get a taste for the 7 day program and are already going to the Healthy Earth Healthy Brith conference at the Findhorn Foundation note that I will be offering a 2 x 1.5 hour workshops where we explore a small element of conscious conception.
Please click here to find out more about the 7 day program at the Findhorn Foundation, this